The Governor has signed a Massachusetts new hands-free law banning drivers from using cell phones and other handheld devices while they are driving. Here are some of the details about what you need to know.
- The new law takes effect on February 23, 2020
- Enforcement starts April 1, 2020
- A driver can only use a single tap or swipe, or voice to activate a phone
- The phone must be attached to the dashboard, windshield or console, it may not be held in the hand
- Cannot read or watch phone
- Emergencies excepted
- The first time stopped there is a $100 fine. Fines go up for subsequent stops
- Driver texting has been forbidden since 2010
If you have questions about how to use GPS or answer your phone in a way that will fit into the Massachusetts new hands-free law, please make an appointment and we will show you what you can do.
Here is an article from NPR about how the new law will affect you.
Email us at Info@sdmfoundation.net