There are good reasons people need to save their text messages. It isn’t that easy to do, so learn how to save text messages on an Android.
Whether you need to save a message thread for personal or legal reasons, nearly everyone finds at some point that they would like to keep some of them. Text messages were not originally designed to be printed or saved, and that creates a problem. Here we will discuss two methods that we have used, and that we are sure work.
An easy and free method
If the length of the message thread isn’t too long, then you can save screenshots of each piece of the conversation. Make sure that each screenshot has some date/time identifying information. You might want to overlap a small amount on each shot in order to be sure none are missing.
Every Android device is a little different, but the two main methods for taking a screen shot are
- Press the Power and Volume down buttons at the same time.
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds. Then tap Screenshot.
If neither of those work, give us a call and we will help you figure it out on your device.
When you are done taking the screenshots you can stitch them together into a document so that they read straight through.
A more thorough method
There are many apps that will allow you to connect an Android phone to a PC in order to save your content. The one we tried is from Wide Angle Software and it is called Droid Transfer.
Droid Transfer and Android SMS Transfer $30 April 2021
- Download the Droid Transfer app and install it on the PC. Purchase the $30 pro version.
- Download the Android SMS Transfer app on the Android phone.
- Connect phone to PC via a USB cable, or scan the QR code on the PC using the app on the Android.
- Click on the type of content you want to view, in this case Messages.
- Choose a Message thread.
- Click on Save as PDF and choose a location.
It’s that easy. Each step can take several minutes, depending on the length of the message thread, so be patient. The resulting pdf is easy to read and includes all of the messages in the thread.
Trouble Saving Text Messages on an Android?
If you have additional questions about saving text messages on an Android, or want help trying these or other things, please call for an appointment.